#FtheHUSTLE ~ 090 – Let’s Change the NarrativeAugust 4, 2022 August 19, 2022 /
I’ve been on the platform Medium for quite a while now (5-6 years, maybe? I tried looking up when I first signed up for a free account, but I couldn’t find it or didn’t look hard enough. 😉).
I’ve written a few original pieces on Medium but have primarily used it as another distribution channel for the content I’ve already created.
As someone who doesn’t use the platform for income, I’ve never really had a strong opinion about how the platform works (or doesn’t work).
The one area I strongly oppose is the “clickbaity” garbage that seems to be more and more popular daily.
I need to edit who I follow, but holy moly… the digest I get from Medium is sometimes depressing! As a paying member, I get a daily digest from people I follow.
I often source articles from Medium to share here, but not lately.
Let me also say that I’m someone who doesn’t watch the news and does as much as I possibly can to keep negativity out of my life.
I truly understand the value and importance of journalistic writing…that’s not what I’m referring to.
I also understand the importance of good copywriting to grab people’s attention.
Most of what I’m referring to feels like a fear-mongering machine yelling in my face…” be very, very scared!”
Most publications and people I subscribe to are business/marketing, travel, finance, and lifestyle.
Here are some examples from one digest:
- Oops, we did it again. Monkeypox could be worse than Covid (I unfollowed this writer)
- Alternative Housing & Lifestyle Options for the Coming Collapse (also unfollowed)
- I’ve officially lost a million dollars: I blame two things (also unfollowed)
- Missing Mom Last Seen on Doorbell Cam Footage Found Dead (not following the writer or the publication)
- Low Content Books are Growing in Popularity – Avoid the Hype (not following this writer or publication)
Not one of those headlines “feels good.”
Add this to what we’ve actually been living through, and it’s not surprising we can’t seem to move out of this heavy feeling.
My challenge to you as an entrepreneur, creator, and marketer… is to be FOR something.
See if you can write a good headline, or hook, that moves people closer to what they want.
Closer to a state of feeling hopeful, excited, or even entertained again.
I did click through to a few of those, and the article’s tone matched the headline. It was a hard pass on all of them.
Always ask yourself how you want your audience to feel (and what do I know? Maybe these writers are trying to instill more fear).
I’ll end this with a quote from Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers):
“When I was a boy, and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”
Here’s to the helpers. 🍻
A Little Brainpower 🧠
This is one you’re going to want to bookmark. Another brilliant Twitter thread from Justin Welsh (maybe I need a Justin Welsh segment in the newsletter?). Read “I made $142,000 selling online courses in July. Steal if for your business here.”
Related: Marketing yourself is a superpower
You all know how much I love email marketing… this article from Justin Brooke of AdSkills breaks down exactly what he did to earn over $40k in email in one week. Read “Every Email I Sent To Make $46,523 Last Week” here.
Related: Deliverit Newsletter
Tool Time 🛠
I’ve been so head down lately that I’m starting to really crave some “play time” with tools. Mainly the ones I already have, but that’s a good sign, right? Here’s what I’ve found for you this week.
- Calendar: In case you needed another calendar option, look no further. Check out Daybridge here.
- Bookmark: I shared this in HitSend and thought it was worth repeating. This is what I use to curate content, tools, links, etc. for the newsletter. Use Raindrop.io free here.
- Webinars: I hadn’t seen this one before but it looks like a great alternative to EverWebinar. Check out WebinarFuel here.
- Community: This looks pretty powerful if it delivers everything it says it does. And it’s completely free to use. Try Backspace for your community here.
I’m pretty sure we’ve all been there… 🤣
I hope your August is off to a great start!
I’m still “nursing” one of my dogs back to health after knee surgery on both back knees. She’s doing great and is an easy patient. I on the other hand forgot I’m not 20 years old and tweaked my back lifting her and carrying her.
Amen for ice packs and ibuprofen. 😊
Have a fantastic day my friends,