#FtheHUSTLE ~ 080 – Does This Make You Cringe?May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022 /
It took a long time for me to wrap my head around copywriting.
I was hesitant to dive in and study it because it felt so contrary to who I am and how I move through the world.
BUT…I knew I needed to understand it (and reframe my thoughts about it), in order to communicate effectively and SELL.
What is it about selling that makes so many of us cringe?
And truthfully, my gut tells me more women cringe about selling than men, but I’m not a sociologist so we’ll leave that alone.
The idea of driving home a pain point can feel like 💩.
When I feel this way about a specific strategy I start looking for an analogy that will help me get over the BS in my head.
Here’s one I came up with to reframe this.
For those of us in a, um… certain “age” bracket… if you were fortunate enough to learn how to drive a stick shift… do you remember the “pain” of learning to drive it?
How many times did you stall the car or give the person in the passenger seat whiplash?
Remember the fear when you took the car out onto an actual road with other drivers?
Or when you stalled at a signal and people behind you started getting impatient? 🚗🚘🛻🚙
All that? 🖕
But then…the feeling that grabbed a hold of you when you “got it! Success!!!”
Shifting gears, not stalling the car at stop signs and signals…This meant FREEDOM.
My parents had one automatic car and one manual… I needed to know how to drive both.
As a 16-year-old being able to take my parent’s car(s) meant independence. It meant more time with my friends, and more trips to get frozen yogurt (er, froyo as the kids call it today 🍧).
Remember that feeling?
Even though I had to go through the pain of learning to change gears and press the clutch, getting through the pain ultimately meant freedom.
Selling the dream here in this case is selling freedom.
Get out of your head with the discomfort you feel from driving home a pain point.
You can sell the dream, but you have to get them to feel like it’s possible.
It’s not about making someone feel crummy… it’s about taking them on a journey to what they ultimately want.
Copy is powerful when you can help someone achieve that “feeling” state.
My challenge for you: write out one scenario that will help you reframe “selling” so you can help someone get what they ultimately want.
- What’s the dream?
- Why haven’t they achieved it?
- What’s the challenge?
- Walkthrough the challenge.
- Pivot to conquering the challenge.
- Explain what that feels like to overcome the challenge.
- Get them to FEEL what it feels like to have achieved their dream.
This takes practice, but isn’t it worth learning?
Are YOU worth what you want?
Of course, you are.
A Little Brainpower 🧠
I can’t believe I’m saying this (although I don’t think I’ve ever said I wouldn’t use TikTok), but I’m starting to look at using TikTok. Here’s why… read “A year ago I started on TikTok. Today I’ve got 90k+ followers. Was it worth it? 1000%.”
Continuing on with TikTok (I’m in the planning stage. I start recording next week. EEEK!). Found this in the Growth & Currency newsletter. “How to Leverage TikTok & Instagram Reels to Grow Your Email List.”
Tool Time 🛠
After not sending any tools last week, I’ve got a bunch of them to share this week! Instead of overloading on tools, I’m going to share the normal 4 tools and feature a 5th.
- Planning & writing: I’m still using Notion as my primary project mgmt. tool, but found this and am using it for the newsletter. Try XTiles for free here.
- Challenges: You’ll be hearing a LOT more about this tool (I’m working with them to build my first-ever email marketing challenge), but in the meantime, try Framework.so free for 30 days here.
- Video: While I haven’t tried Twitter Spaces (yet), this looks promising if you’ve also got a YouTube channel. Convert your Twitter Spaces to YouTube videos with Audiolabs.
- Ai for Social Media: You know I’m a fan of Ai tools (still use and love Jasper). Create social posts with one line of text! Try Predis.ai free here.
Featured Tool ⭐
Supercharge your podcast with searchditto
Searchditto Podcast works hand in hand with your favorite podcast player on your WordPress site, to help you save time and get more listeners and subscribers.
With searchditto you get more episodes consumed and you give a new life to older content nobody watches anymore
What’s in it for you?
– You Boost consumption of your episodes by giving your audience the convenience of searching inside past podcasts by keyword.
What’s in for your audience?
– With the powerful search by keyword: You help them find more content that they want from you, you make it easy and save them time.
There’s more to searchditto than I have space for here, but check it out with the link below:
This is pretty “punny” 🤣
I want to end this email with a quote from Carl Sagan… because someone somewhere needs to hear this:
“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere.”
Pura Vida 😊🌴,