#FtheHustle ~ 013January 28, 2021 January 28, 2021 /
Have you ever heard the phrase, “what you resist will persist”?
I first heard it from my therapist and let me tell you… talk about one of those things that smacks you upside the head.
Once you connect the dots with that phrase you can see how it can apply to every area of your life and of course, your business.
Here are a few examples of what I mean in business:
- Email marketing: avoiding it because you’re not good at it. A year goes by, your list hasn’t grown (neither have sales) and you’re still not any better than you were last year.
- Courses/products: You want to sell a course, you have an idea, but you *think* you need to buy a 2k ‘course on courses’ in order to be able to sell one. You don’t have the money (or the list, see the first bullet), so a year later still no course.
- You want to do less service work: You’re READY… you want more time to create products and build YOUR business, but the clients are paying the bills. You don’t set any clear boundaries or hold yourself to a different standard. A year later you’re doing the same work (that doesn’t light you up anymore) and feel trapped.
Hear my heart… there is NO judgment in any of the above scenarios. I’ve been there. That was me.
I made a very conscious decision to do things differently.
We all know the saying about doing the same thing and expecting a different result (i.e., insanity), and as much as we say we want a different result, why don’t we change our behavior? 🤔
It usually comes down to one thing.
We think about what will be required of us to change our behaviors or get the results we want and it can be daunting to say the least.
But here’s the thing…
… you do it. One. Task. At. A. Time.
Think about it this way (and I don’t say this to depress you). We are close to having lived through this pandemic for a YEAR already!!!
So, what can we do?
Jodi has dug deep into the 12-Week Year (great book and process if you’re not familiar with it) and she has gotten me fully onboard with it. We’ve created a plan for Content Creators Planner and I’m doing the same for my Kim Doyal brand.
Two weeks in and I’ve ticked things off that list because we took the time to plan it out.
In years past I would have been resistant to doing this to the degree we’re doing it… but what I’ve done hasn’t gotten me the results I want, so I said “I’M IN!”
Stay open, take steps every single day, no matter how big or small…
I PROMISE you that you WILL see results when you stop resisting.
I’m rooting for you!
A Little Brainpower 🧠
I have to admit, there’s something fun about seeing a new way to create and publish content, even if it feels like “one more thing to do” (or is that just me?). Instagram Guides debuted in May of last year, but not many people know about them. Here’s an in-depth post on “How to Create Instagram Guides” from Planoly.
Maybe I loved this so much because it speaks to my never-ending-optimism, but I have to maintain the belief that there is always hope. And the author asked “What if I lived my life as if success is inevitable?” That right there is the type of question you should be asking yourself. Read “You Can Radically Change Your Life In One Year.”
Tool Time 🛠
- Daybridge: now that I’ve got full-tilt-boogie with the 12-Week Year, I’m drilling deeper into what I use to manage everything. This calendar looks promising. Sign up for the beta of Daybridge here.
- How about a nice Warm Welcome with a personal video? (couldn’t resist). Send personal videos via email to your customers. Checkout the Warm Welcome lifetime deal on AppSumo here.
- Now that I’m dipping my toes back into Twitter a bit (the degree of that is yet TBD), I’m paying more attention to tools for Twitter. here’s an easy way to turn a tweet into an image. Try TweetPik here.
- Need a little help with your images? This tool makes it easy to remove a face, background, apply styles and more. Try Facet here.
Newsletters I’m Reading 🤓
A must-read bi-weekly briefing of marketing knowledge, tools & learning resources for solopreneurs, and makers. Check out Indie Letters here.
I love the name of this newsletter… I just signed up so haven’t gotten my first issue, but I”m looking forward to it. A curated newsletter with interesting reads, tools & learning resources sent out weekly to make you smarter. Sign up for BrainPint here.
I agree, we’ve been pronouncing it wrong all along… 🤣
Did you know?
Sometimes we all need a little help getting out of our own way. Did you know you can schedule a one-time Focus Session with me?
We’ll spend 90 minutes together digging in and creating a plan.
Here’s a recent testimonial from a coaching client:
O.K. my friends…
Have a wonderful last few days of January.
You’ve got this!