Brian Kurtz on Advertising, List Building & Relationship Capital WPCP: 168November 4, 2017 November 4, 2017 /
I was having a conversation with my friend Lee Jackson the recently on a Facebook live stream and we were talking about how sometimes it feels like we’re ‘cheating’ when we’re podcasting because we get to spend an hour with these brilliant minds and it’s almost like getting a one-on-one mentoring session with them.
That was exactly how I felt the entire time I was talking with Brian Kurtz.
It’s been a long time since I’ve connected with someone new, who I instantly respected, and thought “as soon as I’m ready to hire a mentor next year, I want to work with Brian” (I need to wrap up a few things this year and get LeadSurveys launched).
Brian has an amazing background in direct response marketing (over 30 years) and has brought all of his wisdom from selling offline into the online space. He’s also the co-author of ‘The Advertising Solution’ and has bought the rights to reprint all of Eugene Schwartz’ books as well (he also graciously sent me his book as well as Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz… class act! 🙂 ).
I honestly felt like I had been giving a little bit of a glimpse behind the curtain. Over the last couple of years, I’ve spent a lot of time going back to fundamentals in marketing and direct response. I’ve started enjoying the process of mastery of the craft and have found a completely different joy in everything I do.
I can guarantee you if you’re even slightly interested in marketing online with a real strategy (i.e, the long game as opposed to quick tactics), you’re in for a real treat with this interview. I’d suggest a pen & paper for notes too.
Questions I Asked Brian
- Can you share your story with the audience?
- What is Titans Marketing?
- Let’s talk fundamentals and the role they play in list building.
- What are people doing wrong with list building?
- What would you suggest someone do to improve their list building?
- Let’s talk about your book, The Advertising Solution.
- What are you working on now?
What You’re Going to Learn
- Brian’s thoughts on physical mail today
- How paying postage made him a better marketer
- What the 40/40/20 rule is
- What relationship capital is
- Why the psychology of selling is the missing piece of the puzzle
- How & Why Brian acquired the rights to Eugene Schwartz books
Where to Connect with Brian
Books & Links from this episode