Behind the Scenes with Troy Dean – Going Deeper KDS: 033April 11, 2019 September 23, 2019 /
I knew after doing the last episode where I shared the Mavericks event I attended in Santa Monica that I wanted to go deeper with Troy Dean on the growth of WP Elevation and the launch of Mavericks. I’ve known Troy for a while now (I’m thinking 5-6 years?) and watching the growth of what they’ve created has been inspiring.
But I know it wasn’t without struggles and challenges along the way, which is what I wanted to talk about (and of course the wins too).
For those of you who aren’t familiar with Troy, he’s Co-founder of the company WP Elevation. Troy started out in this space with a niche website (coffee machines! Who knew!) after taking the 30-day Challenge (anyone else remembers that? I did a few of those back in the day) with Ed Dale. After realizing he wasn’t passionate about coffee machines he sold that website (for a whopping $60) and was hooked.
He started doing websites (which seems to be an entry point for a lot of people online), created a WordPress plugin called “Video User Manuals” and ended up with the premier training for WordPress consultants and web agencies.
Fast forward to today and WP Elevation is a multiple 7-figure business and they’ve added Mavericks Club.We just need to put our big girl panties on and keep each other accountable. @troydean
Questions I Asked Troy
- Why he’s so obsessed with the ‘flight’ theme (hence the image in the post)
- Why they switched WP Elevation from a membership (initially) to a course model with a recurring membership on the backend
- What he’s learned from doing so many launches (and what he’d do differently)
- What would he do differently
- Who was his first online mentor
- How they came up with Mavericks Club
- How they launched Mavericks Club
What You’re Going To Learn
- What Troy did when he hit rock bottom
- Why he would start with Mavericks Club first
- How they’ve moved from the launch formula to an evergreen model
- What the growing pains have been with scaling a company to 7-figures
- What the long-term model is for the business and how Troy is creating leverage for himself
- How the first event in San Diego went and how they’ve created a template for their events
- How they ‘codify’ everything they do (systems and processes)
Where to Connect with Troy
Previous Episodes with Troy